Monday, February 23, 2009

Another New PR!

This was an absolutely ROCKIN' weekend for running. You couldn't have asked for better weather at the 7am start, and I went balls out on our 2 mile time trial. This was technically the first time we've EVER run a time trial at this distance. Sure, we've done numerous workouts with 2 mile intervals, but realistically, they are not at the same level of effort. This was at your 5K race pace or a bit higher. It's quick and fast from start to finish. Leave everything you've got on the course, nothing less.

The course was on our normal path, but instead of starting at our normal meet place, we were a half mile further back. This gave us a nice point to point, slightly downhill, wind assisted course to run on. I didn't do my normal warm up jog, but I did a much more abbreviated version and went into some quick tempo striders in order to wake up the legs from my morning slumber. Once everyone was there, we all toed the line, and hit the course. I started off VERY FAST. I think the first quarter was 1:30, it was all a blur. My goal was to hang at the front as long as I could. And that I did for the first mile which clocked in at 6:38. From there, it was hold on and come in under 14:00 for a 6 sumthing per mile pace. Anything with a 7 would not satisfy my competitive fire. And hold on I did. I checked my pace every 200m mark on the road to make sure I was where I should be. And once I got the finish line in sight.....It became an all out sprint. I managed to get across the line in 13:25 which gave me a 6:47 second mile!!! That's ABSOLUTELY HUGE!!!! Think about it....3 weeks ago, I ran a 22:03 5K. Yes...22:03. Even if I slow to a 7 minute mile, I still come in at 20:25 with a tenth to go. That's a HUGE PR!!!! IN JUST 3 WEEKS!!!

So needless to say....My legs are back baby....and it's getting into the FUN time of the season!!!!!

Stay tuned for what's up NEXT..............................

No comments: