Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What a GREAT Weekend of Running

This post is LONG overdue, as it's been several days since my last run. I got a GREAT weekend of quality running in, and I have to say I feel GREAT! Saturdays workout was a 30 minute tempo. The course is very familiar, as I've run it hundreds of times. I wanted to use it as a gauge to see where is my fitness for now. My goal was to see how close to 4 miles I could get in that time. I didn't expect to get there, but I needed some kind of baseline since this was the start of marathon training week #1. So, meeting a relatively small group (since there was a race on Sunday), us non racers toed the line at 5:30 on a beautiful Saturday morning. Knowing my goal, I ended up a little farther then where I thought I would at 3.85 miles according to Dr. Garmin. And the beauty, I checked my pace at each mile reminder, and I was always around 7:45....Which, if you calculate the final pace, it's right at 7:45. Nice and consistent. Where do I want to be?? I want to get that down to somewhere between 7:00 and 7:15. That's VERY doable where I'm at right now by race day in mid January. Some of that will come with weight loss. Right now at 186, I'm about 15-20 pounds over where I want to be race day. I would like to be somewhere around 165-170 by then. As the miles increase, the weight will come off. It has to. It won't have anywhere else to go. So, if I lose another 15 pounds (low side), that's going to equate to almost 30 seconds per mile. That gets me right at the low end of where I want to be race day! And the beauty is, I have 4.5 months to get there. That's less then a pound of weight loss per week. VERY VERY DOABLE....and yes....I have the weight to lose.

Sunday was also another great day to run. I don't set a target time, I just like to go out and run, and finish when I feel done. So, out the door I headed at about 7:15. I also take it easy, like a 9:30 pace, with planned water breaks along the way. I managed to get in 7.5 miles and ran for a total of about 1:10 minutes. I was actually gone a total of 1:20, but that 10 mins is par tof my planned water stops. No need to hurry, just take it easy and put the miles on the feet.

Monday, I woke up before my alarm clock which was very very unusual. I wasn't feeling 100%, so I just wanted to take it very easy, and get at least 20 mins in. I managed to get that done. No break neck pace, just a 1 mile out and a one mile back course. Nothing to brag about, that's for sure, but it definitley made a difference in how the legs felt today.

Today's run was a group workout. It's always fun to find out (after you've started) that you're doing a shorter workout then you had mentally planned for. I came in thinking we were doing 16x1/4 mile. I misread the schedule. And thankfully it was 16x1 min. Very nice mental recovery there. And I ran very well.....My first set started off very slowly. I think we ran it at like an 8 min/mile pace. I'll have to go back and look at Dr. Garmin to verify that, but it was almost conversational. I definitely managed to pick up the pace as we went along, and by the end, I was really trying to hang with one of the the faster runners of the group after he passed me. I can thankfully say, he didn't actually gain much distance on me after he made the pass. So it was a GREAT motivator to hang with him on the last 3 sets.

I also plan on meeting with Paul tomorrow morning to get 5 miles in on the big loop. we can take it fairly pedestrian, and still get done with enough time to make my 6am telecon!

Until then, LIVESTRONG and TRAIN HARD!

No comments: