Saturday, January 24, 2009

T-MInus 6 Days Until Tampa!

One day down, and an eventful one at that. I coach my sons flag football team, and we are the Card-Pitt Steelers. The past 3 years we've been who else, but the Cardinals. This year, it was an 8 week wait to get jerseys. Well......As fat would have it, we were given the Steelers. Ironic....Don't chya think!!

So, today we played against the Broncos. So far, we were 0-3. The kids are really starting to get it, and after the first game blowout, the other two have been real close! We should have won th eprevious two....One play away two games ago......and last week, neck and neck until about the final 2 minutes.

So this week, we played yet another undefeated team. And they started the game on the forst play with a little run right up the middle for a TD....Man, all those flag grabbing drills out the door. But it was kind of a fluke...the flag litterally slipped out of the kids hadn, and the rest was paydirt freedom. After that they really buckled down, and just before halftime, we gave aup a long TD...we got the ball for one final play and BAM!!! TD PASS!!!! I called a split formation, XZ52. My Z receiver got 10 yards behind the defense, and my QB made a perfect throw. Just like that we went into hafltime down by 5 and the ball to start the second half. And we capitalized from the get go and NEVER looked back. We kept a 7 point lead until the final 26 seconds of the game. They scored a TD but had just missed the extra point. So we had a 1 point lead. My first call was to run the clock out. Running play that ended up us losing two yards. In flag you start each posession on the 5. So, with only a 3 yards cusion, I called a pass play that had killed them all day long....ALMOST an interception for a TD....Thankfully they dropped the pass. With 6 seconds left, I called a running play to the fastest kid on my team. I just wanted him to get free and run out the clock, WITHOUT geting a safety. I called my final timeout and talked ot the kids, and they executed with PERFECTION, giving us our first victory of the season! That will hopefully open the floodgates that will have them clicking the next time we face the undefeated Falcons!

So, tomorrow, we are one day closer to Tampa....I'm really starting to get JONESED!!!!

No comments: